The Interactive 2019 ABPI Code of Practice
This edition of the Code of Practice came into operation on 1 January 2019. During the period 1 January to 30 April 2019 no material or activity will be regarded as being in breach of the Code if it fails to comply with its provisions only because of requirements which the 2019 Code introduces.
Update: For temporary changes to publication of 2019 Data on Disclosure UK in June 2020 please refer to the ABPI website
The 2019 Interactive Code can be searched by using the Index or Text Search functions below. It can also be accessed by clause number.
The Index is an interactive version of the alphabetical subject index in the printed Code. For ease of access it is colour coded to indicate and link to the information available in the Code in relation to:
Clauses in the Code (dark blue),
Supplementary Information to Clauses in the Code (light blue)
Constitution and Procedure for further information (yellow).
Select clause number for the relevant section of the Code.
The text search links to relevant clauses in the interactive Code.
- Clause 1 - Scope of the Code and Definition of Certain Terms
- Clause 2 - Discredit to, and Reduction of Confidence in, the Industry
- Clause 3 - Marketing Authorization
- Clause 4 - Prescribing Information and Other Obligatory Information
- Clause 5 - Abbreviated Advertisements
- Clause 6 - Journal Advertising
- Clause 7 - Information, Claims and Comparisons
- Clause 8 - Disparaging References
- Clause 9 - High Standards, Format, Suitability and Causing Offence, Sponsorship
- Clause 10 - Provision of Reprints and the Use of Quotations
- Clause 11 - Distribution of Promotional Material
- Clause 12 - Disguised Promotion
- Clause 13 - Clinical Trials and Non-Interventional Studies of Marketed Medicines
- Clause 14 - Certification and Examination
- Clause 15 - Representatives
- Clause 16 - Training
- Clause 17 - Provision of Medicines and Samples
- Clause 18 - Prohibition on Inducements and Inappropriate Payments, Provision of Items for Patients, Health Professionals and Other Relevant Decision Makers, Agreements to Benefit Patients such as Outcome Agreements and Patient Access Schemes
- Clause 19 - Medical and Educational Goods and Services
- Clause 20 - Joint Working
- Clause 21 - Relationships and Contracts with Certain Organisations
- Clause 22 - Meetings, Hospitality and Sponsorship
- Clause 23 - The use of Consultants
- Clause 24 - Transfers of Value to Health Professionals and Healthcare Organisations
- Clause 25 - Scientific Services
- Clause 26 - Relations with the Public and the Media
- Clause 27 - Relationships with Patient Organisations
- Clause 28 - The Internet and other Digital Platforms
- Clause 29 - Compliance with Undertakings
- Constitution and Procedure
- Guidelines on Company Procedures Relating to the Code of Practice