The ABPI Code of Practice for the Pharmaceutical Industry 2015
The Code sets standards for the promotion of medicines to health professionals and appropriate administrative staff in the UK. It includes requirements for the provision of information to patients and the public and relationships with patient groups. The Code also applies to a number of areas that are non-promotional.
The Code covers:
- journal, direct mail and digital advertising
- the activities of representatives, including any materials used by them
- the supply of samples
- the provisions of inducements to prescribe, supply, administer, buy or sell medicines, by the gift, offer or promise of any benefit or bonus whether in money or in kind
- the provision of hospitality
- promotional meetings
- the sponsorship of scientific and other meetings including payment of travel and accommodation expenses
- all other sales promotion including exhibitions and digital communications
- the provision of information to the public
- relationships with patient organisations.
The detailed provisions in the Code aim to ensure that pharmaceutical companies operate in a responsible, ethical and professional manner.